Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Chicken Cobbler Casserole

My wife subscribes to Southern Living Magazine. We love the recipes. As soon as my wife puts it down, my first question is, "any good recipes?" There was a winner in this month's edition. The next time we make it, we are going to add more butter to the bread and add garlic when we saute the veggies.

Chicken Cobbler Casserole

Prep: 10 min., Cook: 25 min., Bake: 15 min.

6 tablespoons melted butter, divided
4 cups cubed sourdough rolls
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 medium-size sweet onions, sliced
1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup white wine
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup drained and chopped jarred roasted red bell peppers
2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken

Toss 4 tablespoons melted butter with next 3 ingredients; set aside.
Sauté onions in remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes.

Stir in wine and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until bubbly. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish; top evenly with bread mixture.

Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: Makes 4 servings
Southern Living, JANUARY 2006

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I made this the other night. I felt it needed a little salt and some pepper. Also I felt the roasted red peppers (not my favorite) over powered the dish, I plan to replace it with cherry tomatoes cut in half. I also plan to use the suggestion that the magazine says to replace the wine with buttermilk!!! I'll let you know how it turns out (I'll probably use your garlic idea too)!