Thursday, July 08, 2004

Debunking the DaVinci Code

Father Jones has a problem with the Da Vinci Code. That shouldn't come as a surprise, a lot of peole have a problem with it. Father Jones has put his problems on paper and wrote Cracking the Code (link in pdf format). I'll let him describe what his problem is;
So what is my problem? Well, my problem with The Da Vinci Code is that the book blurs the lines between fiction and fact – in a way that comes across to me as deceptive, false and willfully misleading. Most of all, I am troubled that many readers finish the book with grave questions about the essentials of the Christian faith and Church history. As a pastor, and a public Christian authority, I have spoken with countless numbers of confused people – who have read the book, and simply don’t know what to make of the supposedly factual remarks by the book’s scholarly characters. People don’t know what to make of the claim to factuality made in the title pages of the hard-cover edition. People in my church, all of whom are normally highly educated, don’t know what in the book is true and what is pure fiction.

I read the Code and also Brown's first book, Angels and Demons. They weren't the best books that I have read by far. I took them for what they were, entertaining stories. I don't look for my history lessons from fiction.

Father Jones' paper is well worth the read.

No comments: